Winter in the Algoma Region this year was filled with severe blizzards, ice storms and other extreme weather. As days start to warm, freeze thaw conditions may lead to another round of water damage this spring. Here are a few helpful tips on what to do if your home or property becomes water damaged.
- Wear protective clothing, mask and gloves.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Gather loose items from your floors.
- Remove valuable paintings and pictures from wet walls.
- Remove Oriental rugs or other coloured rugs from wet wall-to-wall carpet. Place a fan so air flows over carpet, speeding the drying process.
- Move wet items to a dry place. Open and empty drawers and cabinets for complete drying.
- Move lighter furniture off carpeting.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Open suitcases and luggage to dry. Place in sunlight if possible.
- Punch small holes in sagging ceilings to relieve trapped water. Place plastic (not metal) bucket under leak.
- Disconnect all power to affected areas.
- If possible, stop source of water. Turn off outside water main, or call plumber or other qualified tradesman, if necessary. If you are unable to locate or turn off water main contact the fire department.
- Empty the refrigerator/freezer completely if electricity is off. Prop the doors open with a towel.
- If possible, open windows to help ventilate.
- Retrieve and retain all broken pieces of porcelain and art objects.
- Save all wood chips or broken pieces of furniture.
As a homeowner, it is important to understand what is protected in the event your home or property is damaged by water. As a result of a rise in claims caused by extreme weather conditions, changes to water damage insurance are occurring.
To learn more about changes to water damage insurance, call 705.949.6555.